Thursday 14 May 2015

Dress a boy...

After making the first couple of dresses for DAG (dress-a-girl-around-the-world) at the weekend, I carried on looking through Pinterest for more dress ideas and tutorials.There are lots out there if you look! I particularly liked THIS ONE with little cap sleeves and might give it a try myself.
Although I'll add a pocket - apparently the children really like to have a pocket to keep their treasure in. One of the tutorials I read suggested putting the pocket on the side, that way there's no obvious front or back, so if the dress becomes worn or stained, it can just be turned round.

But I kept thinking, what about the boys...it's all very well making little dresses for the girls but there are plenty of boys in need of clothes too. Well, I just found someone else (KAREN of The Best Dress Ever) who already thought just that and using an old commercial pattern has put together a tutorial for a pair of BOYS SHORTS made from a mans T-shirt. I don't have such a pattern but I'm sure I'll find a free one online somewhere in about 2 minutes flat.
I've not made anything from stretch knits before but may go back for a proper read and then have a go at some point. Or I could just make them out of cotton fabric. Just not a girly print...
Karen has also done a tutorial on making a "T-shirt dress" - use a t-shirt for the bodice and attach a fabric skirt.  I'd already seen this idea elsewhere and bought a couple of £1.50 T-shirts in Primark yesterday, ready to try at the weekend. Karen's instructions look easier to follow though, so I may come back to hers. We'll see.

I need to actually find the time to do any of this first!! And still not a crochet hook in sight...
You know, I might make some more of those little pocket love hearts and pop one in the dress/shorts pocket...


No comments:

Post a Comment