I had spent a fair bit of time looking for a chart for children's clothes that had actual waist measurements, as the pattern I had printed off didn't tell you how much elastic you'd need. They helpfully told you to measure your child's waist...
(There is a button on the Dress a Girl website for a size chart but it doesn't work at the moment - I'll email later today and ask for a copy.) In the meantime, I did come across this sizing guide that I found useful. If you scroll down you'll find the child sizes.
There's a link in my last post to the pattern (it is a really good pattern), or if you look on the side bar there's a button that takes you to the Dress A Girl UK website where there's a pattern page with lots of links.
I couldn't resist taking some photos before I started cutting out...
(I thought I'd try out the chicks as weights to hold the pattern pieces in place. They will be flying off to their new home soon.)
I added pockets to the front, although the next pair will have a smaller opening at the top of the pocket - I've clearly made them to fit my own hands not a child of five! They went together really fast, although I could have done with making sure the casing for the elastic was big enough. The fancy inch wide special waistband elastic I bought only just fit through. I'm debating faffing about adjusting it.
They were cut from the 150cm wide fabric and as you can see form the picture above, I was able to lay the pieces side by side across the width when cutting out. This will also work all the way up to the size 12 on the pattern, as long as you remember to leave enough for the waistband as that will have to be positioned elsewhere on the fabric.
There's enough of this fabric left to make the size 12 shorts and I might adapt the pattern slightly to make the leg longer. Maybe.
Do you like the other fabric I bought? It's in the top photo - airforce blue with a white yacht on it that has the look of a blueprint. I think it will fray like crazy if I don't zigzag as I go though. I might cut them out tonight so that everything is ready to go in the morning. Depending on the weather, I'd like to get out for a walk as well as sew, if I can. The forecast isn't brilliant though.
And as far as work goes, I've decided to start my 4 day week from now. Tomorrow is a bank holiday, I've booked next Monday as leave, then it's official the week after.
So until I find a part time job, I will have one day a week to sew...
UPDATE. Well, it rained most of the day today - Monday. There was a faint glimmer of sunshine at 3.30pm and I thought I might escape for a short walk in the park. At which point the doorbell rang and visitors arrived! I did get out a couple of hours later for a very short walk - not even 20 minutes. But it did blow away one or 2 cobwebs.
I made 2 pairs of shorts today, both age 12, one in the airforce blue fabric and a second pair in the gingham.
The airforce blue turned out very nice.
I had a go at using the buttonhole elastic. I settled for using a very short length that should be enough to pull in the waist by about an inch. I don't think you're supposed to use it this way but it sort of works.
And I must say a BIG thankyou to Jayne of Dress a Girl UK for taking the time to email their size chart to me - at almost midnight last night! That's dedication for you!! (She has also fixed the button for the chart on their website.)
She's putting together a consignment of clothes to go out to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in 2 weeks time and as long as I get my shorts to her by the 15th Sept, they will be included.
I must admit, I don't even know exactly where Bwindi is... OK. It's HERE in South Western Uganda. Almost central Africa, just below the equator.
The name Impenetrable Forest conjures up some strong images. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in such a place, never mind how hard it must be to get to. My journey to work tomorrow will be a piece of cake in comparison...
I'll look forward to (hopefully) eventually seeing some photos on their facebook page.