Wednesday 12 April 2017

Tooty Fruity Ta - Dah !!

It's finished already!!! Actually I did the final row of picots around the border at work in the shop on Monday. It still needs to be washed and blocked but that will have to wait until I have time over the weekend. It already feels really soft and squishy, so I can only imagine how much softer it might feel when washed as that should fluff up the fibres even more.
I'm very pleased with how quick it was to make too - much quicker than the springtime blanket I made last year.

I decided to go for a flat lace border - nice and open and floaty to compliment the "openness" of the main blanket but not too frilly. I started with a row of half trebles all the way round the outside, then 3 rows of treble fillet crochet before working border number 30 from Around the Corner Crochet Border by Edie Eckman. Perfect!

I don't have a final photo yet - you'll have to wait for that but here are some more WIP photos to be going on with!

Tina's Allsorts, Tooty Fruity Blanket

Tina's Allsorts, Tooty Fruity Blanket

Tina's Allsorts, Tooty Fruity Blanket

Tina's Allsorts, Tooty Fruity Blanket

If I get time over the weekend, I'll try and write up what I did at each stage, with all the links to the patterns/tutorials I used. That's assuming I won't be too busy with my next project of course!! I couldn't resist buying some extra colours to go with the Tooty Fruity collection, ready to make the stripey sampler blanket that I want to do next. More about that next time.

But I also want to make myself another waistcoat... I saw some FABULOUS real wool yarn on Instagram a couple of weeks ago and kept going back to admire it. It was quite expensive, being real British wool and hand dyed too but then it dawned on me that as I had sold the Virus Shawl, I could use the proceeds to pay for new wool! Result!! I ordered it from Kathryn of Crafternoon Treats, who was also offering a mothers day discount of 10% (I do find it hard to resist a discount...) and it arrived very quickly and it's as good as it looks in her online photos. I expected to be a bit disappointed with the colour when it arrived but actually, it was even better in real life!!

I've made a tiny sample just to see how the colours would appear - as short "rows" or "blocks". They're definitely blocks which makes it easier with the waistcoat I want to do. Last time I made one I used a variegated yarn and it was a right fiddle making the fronts and getting the stripes to match - read about it here. I'm planning on using the same pattern again.




Isn't this GORGEOUS?!!!! The colourway is called Cyclamen Shade and is inspired by deep pink cyclamens growing on a woodland floor in the shade. And I love it before I've even made something with it!!! I'm so glad I bought it!! Just love those little shots of bright green. Can't wait!

Actually, I've just thought - I have another little ta-dah. I nearly forgot! Sunday before last I finished all the circles for the Tooty Fruity Blanket and arranged them and had everything ready to go to start joining them - except the white wool to do it with... I was wondering what to do instead and then spied my pink/purple bag which was still waiting to be lined. I got it out and hunted out some fabric and a zip and set to and it was done in no time. It was made to measure to hold my wallet, phone, camera, car keys and lipstick -  I even managed to fit in my new over-glasses which are quite big (but amazing, wish I'd found some years ago...). My lovely new bag has already had 4 outings - this isn't the best shot but it will have to do for now -



Well that's it for today. I've finished work for a few days now and I'm looking forward to a family wedding and a nice rest. And a lot of crochet hopefully!!

Enjoy the Easter Holidays yourself! Til next time, T xXx


PS I love watching the view counter tick over on this blanket - nearly 17,000 now. I'm going to borrow it soon so I can write up the pattern of how I made it as I often get requests.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment