Tuesday 25 August 2015

Shorts - Finally!!!

I have finally bought some fabric and printed out a pattern for boys shorts. Thought I'd never get there I was so stuck on dresses!! I didn't really know how much fabric to buy per pair (I did my usual trick of visiting the shops before checking the pattern...) so decided to buy enough to make (hopefully!) up to six pairs. Maybe more with a bit of nifty cutting out.
C&H Fabrics had a nice blue heavyweight cotton with a boat print, which was reduced to £4.95 per metre - I settled on 3m. And a dark blue and white gingham. That was £12 but it was 150cm wide so I thought if I do a small size I might be able to cut 2 pairs across the width. And some nice wide elastic for the waist. Again, I didn't know how much, so just bought ample.
There's a link on the patterns page on the Dress a Girl UK website for a pair of shorts - find it HERE.

All I need now is the time to make them!! I'm quite looking forward to making some shorts for a change.

Before too long I will have more time on my hands anyway, as things have "progressed" at work - although I'm not sure that's the right word to use - and in less than a month I will be moving to a 4 day week.
I did seriously consider leaving and had updated my cv and started looking. Even had an interview. But after much soul searching (believe me, there was a lot of soul searching) I came to the conclusion that I should stay, at least for the time being. I like the place where I work. I like (most of) the people. I like Winchester. I love being able to go for a walk at lunchtime. The parking is free! And I will just have to try and not think about the things I don't like about where I work, hard though that may be. Yes, it will mean a 20% pay cut but at least I still have a job. It could have been a lot worse.
So if anyone knows of a part time job, one day a week - preferably on a Monday - in the Southampton/Winchester area, please let me know...

Until I find something I will look on the bright side and view it as being given a day a week to "give something back" and will begin with a day a week to sew.

Now for something completely different! (Where have I heard that before?...)

Earlier this year, a friend introduced me to a singer/songwriter called Callaghan. She's English but has moved to Nashville in the US. Her songs are quite beautiful with powerful lyrics sung with an amazing clarity in her voice. I heard her perform live in a pub in Portsmouth a few months ago and she sang The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and it was so moving. She's just posted a link on facebook to a youtube recording of it (recorded elsewhere) and I thought it was worth sharing. Enjoy...

Callaghan  - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

No comments:

Post a Comment