Saturday 8 May 2021

Bluebell Walk πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

 It's that wonderful time of year when the woods are full of glorious, beautiful bluebells! 


I really missed being able to go and walk amongst them last year  - we were still under  full lockdown and weren't allowed to travel anywhere for our daily exercise. And the best wood I know is 15 miles away....

But this year there was no way I was going to miss them! 

I got up early last Saturday to go with a friend (actually, I was so excited I'd been dreaming about it and was awake at 5am! I got up at 6 and we didn't leave it until 9!!!) and we headed out to Micheldever Wood, just northeast of Winchester. 

We knew it would be really busy, hence the early start and we were at the car park before 9:30 only to find it was virtually full already! We squeezed into the last space and then  crossed the road and went into a different wood, not Micheldever! 

We discovered 3 or 4 years ago, chatting with a dog walker that actually, the best walk for bluebells is across the road in Itchen Wood. It's literally opposite - but hardly anyone goes there! Admittedly, there's no car park, just a little pull in at the edge of the road but oh my, the bluebells! The wood faces a different direction and is a well managed woodland. You won't find fallen trees and overgrown brambles. And definitely no pine trees! And you can't hear the motorway either! 

Some areas are on a slight gradient and as you approach from the bottom edge there's just a bank of shades of blue and purple in front of you. Simply beautiful! 

And the fragrance was divine! And I have a poor sense of smell! 

I took a million photos, like you do, on both camera and phone but trying to get them onto my tablet is hard work! But here are just a few. 

And if you would like to visit them yourself and you're in Hampshire in the UK, just look up Micheldever Woods and when you get there,  park in the car park if you can,  then walk back out to the road, turn left & cross over, walk 100 yards and the entrance to the wood is just there, on the bend of the road. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment